Friday, October 30, 2009

My Real Prognosis!

Well my family doctor didn't give much of a prognosis. He admitted never having anyone 37yrs old with Non hodgkins Lymphoma (NHL). Anyhow Yesterday Oct 29, 2009 I visited the London Cancer clinic for my first appointment. I brought my mom and my wife. It was nice to have them there! My wife has been great because she advocates for me quite well. She was very nervous as was I while we sat in the waiting room but she put on the brave face. My mom she hurts I can see that she's scared for me. I have 2 little daughters. All I can think when I'm in the cancer clinic is that I'm glad I got cancer and not my daughters. So for my mom to watch her son with cancer is hard.
Next I do some bloodwork followed by more waiting. Finally we are called into an examination room. Next I meet the oncologist Dr. Chin Yee he does an examination of me. Then he sits down a proceeds to explain my prognosis. For an hour and half my wife spews out questions. He anwsers everyone carefully and detailed. I realize after he leaves the room that I didn't hear one question or any of his anwsers. I was to busy thinking of my girls without dad... I heard 8 yrs so I thought I had eight yrs to live. I looked over after Dr Chin Yee had let the room. My mom and wife looked happy. I thought 8 yrs must be ok with them. I said, "What do you think?". My mom said she was hopeful. Jen seemed very satisfied to. Man oh Man bring people with for these kinds of appointments. Basically this is what I have learned since. Don't hold me to this because it's all new as of now. I have Follicular Non Hodgkins Lymphoma grade 3a. This is where it get's confusing. There's 4 stages of this lymphoma 1,2,3,and 4.... 1&2 being the slower growing and 3&4 being the more agressive. Grade 3 also has an a&b myself having 3a. You actually want the more agressive cancer. Grade 3 responds well to chemo and once in remission tends to stay in remission for a long time. If it does come back it's very treatable with chemo again. Where as 1&2 doesn't react as well to chemo and tends not to stay in remission as long. When it comes back it's harder to treat each time. Grade 3a means I'm in the middle and they won't know if it will react as a 2 or a 3. Let's hope it will act as a 3.

6 comments:

  1. John, I feel so much empathy for you. I read your blog and I am stund. Jen sounds like she has been a great support. I am thinking of you both and the girls. Keep up the blog and the determination.
    Tricia Brown

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I am so proud of you for doing this blog. It makes me understand a little bit of what exactly you are going through. I love you and well done!
    Jolaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,
    As i sit here and read the words of your blog its hard not to reflect on my own life. How lucky we are to have our children and our family's.

    You are a true inspiration and show incredible courage and determination. You are blessed with a beautiful family - so I have no doubt you can beat this!....this cancer picked the wrong fight!

    Warmest Regards,
    Tammy Dowdell- Beaulieu

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am John's dad. I too am in awe of the amount of support he has received from everyone. I know he is overwhelmed with gratitude. I may be prejudice but John is an amazing man. I believe that is why he is able to attract amazing friends. (The law of attracion)

    Linda and I have also been bombarded with support from family and friends. I cannot tell you how much that means to us.

    The word "cancer" has always been scary to me but none more so than on the day he called us and gave us the news. It was the worst day of my life.

    I want to thank all of you who have supported John, Jen, their 2 darling daughters, and our family in our time of sorrow.

    God Bless all of you!and keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

    Fred Maisonvill

    ReplyDelete
  5. John:
    You will beat this. You have the support of so many people praying for you.
    We will continue to pray for you and your family. Best of luck with your first round of treatment.

    Mike & Linda Jones

    ReplyDelete
  6. John, Jen, Rizzle and Mika,
    We love you and are here for you in whatever way we can be. You are strong and highly motivated, to kick this cancer in the ass. We know you will do it and will send strength your way every day!
    Lots of love and support
    Christine, Kent and McKenna

    ReplyDelete