Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Cancerversary!

   Well It is one year since I found out about my cancer tomorrow. I remember the doctor coming into the room and telling me it wasn't good. I thought at that moment I wouldn't be here writing this now. Then a funny thing happen along the way, I learned about my cancer and decided I need to beat this because I love my life. Besides I have these 3 girls my wife, and 2 daughters that are counting on me. I can honestly say I feel healthier, happier and stronger then I ever have. I've become a bit more modest of my future... I tend not to look to far ahead anymore. One day at a time! I feel lucky for all that I have. I'm not angry that this has happen to me, I've accepted it and changed my life to deal better and beat this stupid cancer. I am a cancer survivor for one year and now working on my second. Some days I'm still scared. I wonder if it will return or if I'm done with it. Oddly though my life feels normal, much like it used to. I feel blessed to have the family and friends I have, you've made my survival so much easier. Special thanks to my parents and in laws for taking caring of me when I couldn't.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 I've been a busy boy the last month or so. I spent a week up north with a friend from work at his cottage. We spent a couple of days with him and his wife and little girl. Then we stayed alone as a family for the rest of the week because my friend had to return to London for a wedding. We stayed on Baptiste lake which holds a  special place in my heart. My parents brought us there 2 weeks every summer for over 20 years. I have a lot of amazing memories there and it was nice to see my girls enjoying the cottage and lake so much. At the beginning of the month we did a camping weekend with my parents,sister and family,brother and family. It was soooooooooooooooo much fun the girls love to hang with there cousins. I also spent a week in Vancouver visiting my brother. It was great fun to visit such an amazing place with my sister who was along for the trip also. It went fast but was well worth it. The west coast lifestyle was very different and the views of the mountains were awesome. Thanks to Terry and Pauline who had us for dinner in there lovely home in Surrey. We hope your health is improving quickly for both of you. At the end of the summer we camped at the KOA in Port Huron Michigan. This was also a hoot to party and play poker with the fellow dads... Thanks to the wives who put up with are nonsense, and to my wife who finally let me get a GPS. I think I'll get my little bro Matt one since we were lost everywhere we went in B.C.


                                                                                                                                                                                   I am officially  a one year survivor, doesn't sound that impressive but I have to start somewhere. I can still remember the doctor telling me it wasn't good news... "IT'S CANCER" he said. Basically I had 3 to 5 years to live. I remember my wife asking him if I'd be here next year. I didn't say much when he told me... Seriously what do you say when someone tells you have cancer. I said nothing, I sat there stunned! Didn't cry just thought about my girls... Then about my girls more. The first month I was stunned I don't remember much! Lots of thoughts poured through my head, do I have enough life insurance? Will my wife remarry? will my kids cry at night for there daddy? Will the Chemo make me really sick? Will the chemo work? Will my parents be alright? Will my wife be alright? Who's going to cut the grass? Will I die in pain? Is this my last Christmas? Will I ever work again? Am I strong enough? How do I tell my young girls that there dad might die? What's a stem cell transplant? Will we ever be able to have more children? Will I be able to enjoy life again? Why me?

For me things started to change when I gained knowledge. First it was knowledge of my cancer (Follicular Non Hodgkins Lymphoma). I got my first piece of  knowledge from a young gentlemen who had just finished his treatment for my exact cancer in the previous year. Also another young lady that I'd met at the Cancer clinic on my first visit with NHL too, she showed me the ropes that day! Then came Dr Chin-Yee the head of Oncology at LHSC... He explained the disease to me carefully and sympathetically. I trusted him fully. Then came wellsprings a support center in London, with lots of alternative healing techniques. Through wellsprings I found I2Y a support group for people under 40 with cancer. My whole perspective on cancer did a 360 overnight!!! I didn't fear cancer anymore like I had and I was ready for the fight! a fight I now believe I can win! I'm so thankful for modern medicine and the fact that it has put my cancer into remission. But I'm determined that the knowledge I gain will help me live a long full life in my battle against cancer. A cancer like mine has a  high chance of re occurring so I'd be crazy to not explore other options in my fight. So I've empowered myself with a cancer fighting diet, good old fashion sweat and tears, and some good old take care of myself relaxation techniques. But now I'm so tired I must sleep!

5 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!! I cannot believe it has already been a year....isn't it funny how something as terrible as this disease could be such a teaching tool...for you, your family & friends and all of us who enjoy your blogs. I said it before & will repeat myself, your beautiful Grandmother, Rose, took care of you from above...and you have taken care of you here on earth....good job!!!! Keep your positive outlook...it sure goes a long way doesn't it! Maybe now, your folks can plan on a trip to Florida this winter???!!! May God continue to bless you & your 3 girls! Colleen & Chico

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to read the blog again John! Can't believe it's been a year. You're such a fighter and will continue to win as we all knew you would!
    JETT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you John.
    markandjen

    ReplyDelete
  4. well mr john...I feel like there isn't much I can write that you wouldn't know but just a reminder that myself and your friends and family are all surrounding you with love, encouragment, fun and hope! you really have impressed me with how you dealt with everything and I thank you for that (you made my job easy lol) and I thank you for the good care you take of yourself for our girls and us. I see your drive and determination to live a great life and I LOVE it!!!! oxoxoxxo keep on keepin on and cheers to many more happy days together!
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog. As a fellow cancer survivor, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Also...Great Blog! You are a credit to the cancer blogging community. I have added you to my blogroll, “Cancer Blogs Lists” with over 1000 other personal cancer blogs at www.beingcancer.net, a cancer networking site featuring a cancer book club, guest blogs, cancer resources, reviews and more.
    If you have not visited before or recently, please stop by. If you agree that the site is a worthwhile resource for those affected by cancer, please consider adding Being Cancer Network to your own blogroll.
    Now that you are listed, you can expect to gain a wider audience for your thoughts and experiences. Being Cancer Network is a place to share and communicate.

    Take care, Dennis (beingcancer@att.net)

    ReplyDelete