Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Friendship!

 I'd like to devote this blog to my daughters... I want to talk about my views on friendship so they oneday can look back and know what there dad valued. So many of my cancer friends that I've talked to have mentioned that when they were diagnosed with cancer that they had some of there good friends pull away from them... I thought about this for along time and I realized I didn't have one friend of mine pull away! For this I feel lucky! In fact after my diagnosis I kinda reaquainted with alot of my old buddies as the phone calls poured in one after another... Also the newer group of friends that Jen and I have had the honor to hang with since moving to London 10 yrs ago... This group stepped up huge for us after I was diagnosed providing love,support,food, and advice. Of course my work buddies who gave me such generous gifts after I was diagnosed and they still call to check up on me all the time. I feel blessed and thank all of our friends for all your help and support.

I can honestly say that in 38 yrs of living I don't know if there would be more 2 people in my life that I've met that I don't like... There are some people that I don't love to be around alot but I wouldn't say I don't like them. I guess I was given the gift of patience towards my fellow humans. People really have a hard time pissing me off! I remember my dad telling me when I was young that there is 2 sides to every story and for some reason that always stuck for me. I tried not to judge people because of this. To me this is so true sometimes we all act out were not always the best friend. We all have are own fears or skeletons in our closets. Each and everyone of us has hurt are good friends oneway or another... I've never taken being hurt by my friends to personally because they are good people and I believed they never meant to hurt me. I have friends who I don't talk to for over 6months at a time, but when we speak It's like we hung out yesterday we laugh we share stories ask about each others families. I can't tell you how much that means to me to feel no guilt even know it's been tooooo loonngg since we talked. I often think of my gradeschool friends some of who I still speak with today... Of course there's the highschool buddies next and when I think back I find myself laughing my ass off because I had so much fun with all of you guys. God did we do some crazy fun shit back in those days... I remember trying to steal on of those huge party tents out of a park in Belle River at 3am one morning because we had this great idea that we would bring it to grand bend and set it up on the beach... It was a great idea until the OPP showed up. I remember my buddy Claudio falling out of the minivan we were in while it was moving and then we preceeded to run him over after he fell out. He was fine other then a nasty bruise on his leg. I remember fooling a bunch of american girls into believing I was Eric Lindros and then going back to there parents house to sign autographs after I didn't want anything to do with that one but my buddies talked me into it. I remember my buddy Roy made the best Ice tea ever and I still can't duplicate it! I remember a bunch of drunk guys sitting at a campfire crying and telling each other how much we loved each other... These are the kinda things that good friendships bring and there's alot more I just don't type fast enough. Then you move into your adult life and you have your adult friends neighbours,work friends, and all kinds of people you meet. One of my favourites is 4 of us from work went to a cottage for a weekend and we all stripped down and did naked cliff diving, I couldn't stop laughing the whole day... It was kind of a brokeback weekend as one of are wives mentioned. Friends come and sometimes we drift apart for many reasons this is natural are lives get busy... Don't be discouraged because no one can take away the good times so have lots of them. Your true friends are just a phone call away even if it's been over a year... With all these social networking sites it's becoming easier to stay in touch. I was lucky I have alot of friends who have giving me a lifelong worth of memories.

I want to thank everyone for all the great comments on my last blog, Jolaine at Matt glad you guys are here for me. Mom I do hate this fucking cancer too! Bryan and Brenda couldn't do it with out you. Erin I never thought I see someone request more blogging from me on facebook but you proved me wrong so here you go. Jen you and Mark do so much just by helping out on fridays and the lasagna and visits. Jewel ditto back at you girl. Colleen and Chico it's always great to hear what you're up to. Are you guys coming home from florida soon?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blog post Johnny-boy! I just can't get enough of it.

    I'm so happy to hear you talk about your friends from the past and present. You know you are loved just as much as you love them/us.

    Keep up the good work. You are truely an inspiring person!!!

    JETT (Jacob, Erin, Todd & Tyler)

    ReplyDelete
  2. John it is so true that you have a lifetime of memories with friends and a lifetime more to live and make more memories!
    All the times we went up north with family and the friends there, all of Mark, Matt and Jolaines friends (and their spouses friends) holy smokes you have a huge circle...and all of our buddies here....life is short and it is not very understandable why people just can't make friendships work out but some people aren't meant to always be in your life forever. they all serve a purpose, unless they are your buddy and it is like they are hooked for life!
    your parents taught you a lot about friendship and I appreciate that you have even shared some of those lessons with me..thanks!
    It has been amazing how great everybody has supported us...thanks everybody!
    John I can honestly say that the friendship we have gets clouded in life sometimes with all that is going on but I can think of so many GREAT times with you and our two little friends we have! so lucky...I remember dancing with you at the bars, crashing boats into OPP boats (OMG hilarious!!) camping, baseball, going for drives, making cards with you (its true fellas), all the fun we have had in windsor and chatham, going to the zoo with the girls...the list is endless. thanks for that! you are loved..that is for sure!
    xoxoxoxo
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, what a great post!
    I am dying to hear more about your Eric Lindros impersonation. That is hilarious! Autographs and everything? I love it. . . . .
    Love s-i-l jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, your blog is great. Marissa and Kayla will love to hear all your stories....when they are older and can understand just how crazy you were when you were younger :) I will need to hear about all these "OPP" stories Jen and John.......well, maybe you can leave those stories out for the girls :) haha
    Also love reading this blog and how inspiring you are to many people out there JOhn! Oh and Erin, I love the "JETT" signature........very cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing post John! I love reading your blog everytime it comes into my inbox. I share many of your beliefs in regards to friendship. You are married to my oldest and dearest friend and Jen and I were blessed to share many funny, stupid but ridiculously amazing memories together over the last 20+ years. She is an amazing woman and I am so happy she was able to find an amazing guy like you! You should be so proud of what you have overcome in the last few months and always know that we are praying and thinking of you guys! Looking forward to seeing you all soon.
    Les :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there John----another fantastic sum-up of the view from your eyes.It's not only your daughters who will cherish these blogs---each and every one of us who read and enjoy them are also learning from them---so they are a gift for all of us--thank you.
    Crazy memories put a huge smile on your face---keep those within easy reach so if ever you feel "down", dig deep and enjoy those good times.
    Shannon and I have enjoyed our gofing together---we always have lots of laughs and that is what life and living is all about. Hugs to you & your family, Chico & Colleen

    ReplyDelete