Thursday, April 22, 2010

Get Ready To Be Confused!

First of all my chemo is done! Tomorrow I start the first phase of maintenance chemo every 3months for 2 yrs. Maintenance chemo is non toxic so I'll be able to continue on with everyday activities. Dr Chin-yee explained me that I only achieved partial remission which at first to me sounded pretty shitty! He then explained that it's partial because the CAT scan still sees something there. He told me if the CAT scan doesn't pick up anything it would of been full remission. This doesn't increase or decrease my chances of relapse significantly he told me. Basically because there something there doesn't mean it's cancer still... But it could be inactive cancer cells hopefully never to grow again. Even when in full remission there is still cancer cells there just not enough for a CAT scan to pick up. He told me Doctors tend to pat themselves on the back when full remission is achieved. He said the reality is we have full remission people walk in 6months later and have relapsed. In a nutshell not a significant increase or decrease in relapses between full and partial remission. He did say slightly better results in full remission. He said his gut reaction is a long remission and who knows with any luck maybe a forever remission. He did assure me Follicular is completely unpredictable and I've figured that out. Now he told me that the reason they treat with CHOP-R chemo in young people is the hope of a cure or a long remission. If they don't get a cure or long remission he assured me I have lots of options available. If I relapse they may consider doing nothing for 2 or 3 years. They could try other chemos and of course the possibility of a stem cell transplant which gives me a 40% chance of cure. So as the doc says we have some bullets in the chamber if we need them. So I feel overwhelmed but upbeat! Hope I didn't confuse you!

3 comments:

  1. Great article in the paper John and SIL Jen.

    I know that you didn't get the answer you were looking for yesterday but it still sounds positive. I'm glad all you need is the non-toxic chemo now.

    Keep staying positive.

    JETT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're upbeat and got your energy back. Just wait till you taste that clean west coast air! Book that flight man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the positive attitude John. You should be getting your final golf letter in the mail soon with courses, tee times etc. Get that swing in shape :>)
    Linda

    ReplyDelete