Monday, May 3, 2010

Feeling Good!

Well now that I'm not doing chemo anymore I've started to really concentrate on exercise and diet. Things have been going well since I finished chemo. I went to a lecture by James Mulligan the nutritionist from the London cancer clinic on nutrition. There were a few things that opened my eyes... 30% of cancers are related to poor diet. 30% to related to smoking. One that I didn't find surprising but quite a few of the people did was to not use vitamins or supplements especially if you already have cancer. I had seen a CNN show on vitamins and supplements and how dangerous they can be and how often they are not needed. My diet will be much more natural with more nuts,fruits,and veggies with much less meat. Of course I'll continue on with the exercise which I have been enjoying.

I'm excited for my golf trip in June. It will be a good test for my overall stamina which I think is pretty good. Also just days away from booking a trip to Vancouver so that's exciting. Otherwise I'm ready to take the girls on myself... A big thanks to my parents and Jen's parents for coming down to watch the girls well I recovered from chemo! This meant so much to me mentally especially to be able to rest and go out anytime I wanted to... I'm truly blessed! So I have big plans with the girls over the first part of the summer before I go back to work. These 2 little rascals will keep me quite busy and I'm looking forward to it. Big thanks to everyone who keeps reading and commenting I love those comments.

Mentally I feel great! I'm not the type that dwells on what I've been through. I don't worry so much about relapsing that's out of my control I'll worry about it if or when it ever happens. I live each day like it's my last and I don't sweat the small things as much. This isn't to say things aren't important to me. More then ever some things are more important. Like thanking each and everyone of you that's been there for me and there was a lot of you. Instead I enjoy the little things in life a bit more... Don't worry so much about retirement or money. Don't worry or care what people think of me as much. Try and spend my time with the people I love or doing the things I most enjoy. Also if you didn't get a chance to read the story my sister in law wrote about  I2Y in the London free press I'll link it now.http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/04/23/13698566.html . 
         http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2010/04/23/13694801.html

This story made me cry because it brought back so much from my diagnosis which for me was the hardest part of cancer. When you have so many unknowns and so many damn questions... It was the first time in my life that I wondered if I'd be around next year. The fear of not seeing the 2 brightest stars in my life Marissa and Mikayla grow up. The fears are less now and the appreciation is so great for what I have and accomplished. The new friends I've met have enlightened me so much and my longtime friends and family have held me up when I needed it. I will continue to write as my journey continues into the maintenance phase of chemo. My next one is in July as well as another in October followed by a CAT scan. So wish me luck as I journey into the unknown. Happy Mother's Day to everyone especially to my Mom who I consider the best Mom ever. Also to my wife the best Mom I could of hoped for my kids... Also my best Mother In Law ever for taking care of me the kids and Jen!!!! She loves it though and will miss us when she returns to work!!!

4 comments:

  1. So happy that you are done chemo John!!! You are a real inspiration for everyone who is living with cancer. Love your positive attitude and it will keep you going for many many many many many more years to come! Keep us updated on everything that is going on, I love to read your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your feeling great John. That golf trip will do you wonders too. Make sure to keep up on blog even though your done chemo. I look forward to new posts from you all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachelle LaBrancheMay 6, 2010 at 5:22 AM

    Congratulations John and Jenn. We have loved reading the blog and keeping up to date with your progress. You have had a long journey, how wonderful that the hardest part is over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there John---What wonderful news for you & your family. It has been a journey for all of you and we have LOVED sharing it with you. I changed my email address and therefore had not received any updates to your blog----I checked it this week and got to read the past 3 updates and hear your progress. A golf trip, a BC trip, your faith, family and friends---YES, LIFE IS GOOD. Keep the blog going & God Bless, Colleen & Chico

    ReplyDelete