Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Just a lazy rainy day!

Well first off Steph I'm glad you enjoy reading the blog! For those of you that don't know Steph she is a friend and also a nurse on the cancer floor here in London. She was huge reason I got into the cancer clinic so quick. For that I'm very grateful... Helps to have friends in high places. She also relays me things that the doctors tell her. Erin if you want to meet for lunch I'm available anytime and yes you want me to pay because I eat way too much for you to pay. Keep your doors locked when in chatham... Christine I will tell everyone about your pics. I'm pretty sure I can't get pregnant, although Jen once told me that women can lose there uterus and I completely believed her. What do men know about the uterus seriously. Cathy thanks so much for the prayers having God on my side is huge. Chico well we have actually met just along time ago. My dads goal is to out fish you oneday. The old man is getting pretty darn good. Because of you I've had many perch dinners...Uncle Gary and Mariola I'll keep writing an updating that's what I do when I'm not eating. Mariola keeping giving him shit. Sick or not sick Jen doesn't let me get away with nothing. I will make it to Windsor eventually just looking for the right weekend. B&B very kind words again and yes it's great having you hear to take care of me. I'm afraid our quiet days will end soon when the girls come out of daycare. Ellen with you in the morning won't be the same with Marissa & Mikayla screaming.


Well I slept like 8 hours last night. So I think the steriod is leaving my system. But Monday Dec 7 I start my second cycle of chemo and will be back on the steriod so hopefully i'll sleep well until then. Sucked back five more pickles before bed last night. I had eggs for breakfast and at about 10:30am 4 more pickles with milk of course. Only got about 2 or 3 pickles left in my second jar. Then I'll move on to jar 3 holy crap. I bought 1 jar monday from Costco and my mom bought 2 for me yeterday again. These are the big jars with those monster dills. I've talked to some friends that also did chemo and this is not the norm they assured me. So if you know someone starting chemo don't go out and buy them pickles. Apparently I'm some kinda freak of nature. Also my dad and I met Jen for lunch at Patty's on king I had a corn beef sandwich with fries. I ate Jens pickles that came with her lunch. I have noticed my appetite is not as big now either. This extra sleep is cutting into my eating time so that helps. I'm sure I'll eat a big dinner though. I'm going to ask my sister in-law to make me another antioxidant lasanga the last one she made was great! Tommorrows goal will be to slide back out to costco to get more pickles don't want to run out on the weekend. If anyones looking for away to make a quick buck. By some stock in Moishes Dill pickles I think they're going to have a good quarterly profit!!!


Anyhow the lump on my armpit which got me into this mess. Has reduced significantly and Dr Chin Yee told me after the 6 to 8 cycles it would be gone. I have to correct some things from my earlier blogs because I'm learning more about my cancer. I have stage 3 Grade 3a follicular Non hodgkins Lymphoma. Dr Chin Yee said the stage in this cancer isn't as important with my particular cancer as it is with other. Staging involes the # of lymphnodes that are swollen and where in the diaphram they are swollen. The Grade is more important. Me being grade 3a they consider this on the fence of 3b and 2. 3b is consider agressive and 2 and 1 is Slow growing. The advantage of having the agressive cancer is it responds well to chemo and almost always goes into remission. Once in remission there's a 50% chance it'll never come back. I've heard from Jeff who recently went to a NHL conference that this stat is likely much higher now, since not many studies have been done since the rituxmba was added I think about 8 yrs ago to the treatment. I've been told as high as 90 % never coming back. The agressive one tends to stay away 5,10,15 yrs before it comes back if it comes back. If it does come back tends to be a bit harder to fight off next time it comes back. Now the slow growing one tends to be a bit trickier to put into remission. Once in remission it almost always tend to comeback but when it is does can be put back into remission. So I'm in the middle and won't really know unless my cancer comes back. Dr chin yee did tell me it generally acts more like the agressive. They have a bunch of catergories that they measure for your prognosis can't remember them all I know bone marrow is one of them. Which I have no cancer in my bone marrow. Age being another. Anyhow i'm at the very best in every catergory which gives me a very best prognosis. But it is cancer and can be unpredictable. I feel fantastic about my chances. I'm a huge believer in diet and know this will keep it from coming back. I'm reading alot about diet now and trying to develop something that'll work for me as soon as my chemo is done. So if anyone has suggestions on diet pass it on. Also I see the Dr Chin Yee next thursday so if anyone has any questions for the doctor send them to me and I'll ask him.

6 comments:

  1. ask Dr Chin Yee if there is such a thing as a pickle drip you can have through an I.V.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, you stole my joke!

    John, I'm glad every looks good for you so far. I to believe eating healthy is the key (not that you could tell by the way I eat) so keep that up too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JOhn, lucky for you...whatever pickles you are buying at Costco, Justin made those ones so bring your empty jars here and please help us out by taking them from our pickle factory!!! I was reading him your entry today and he said that he would be more than happy to unload a bunch of these pickles to help you out! Um apparently, we didnt need an entire bushel of pickling cukes!!!!
    I have yet to administer a "pickle drip" with chemo but who knows what is on the up and coming :)

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah Johnnie! perhaps you are "pickling" the cancer???? put it in a jar and bury it!

    I am taking your lovely wife out for dinner and shopping tonight... but we will not be going near any pickle stores! ha! it is a SALE... so really we are saving money by shopping!!!

    I am gathering some info on Meditation, relaxation tapes, etc... so will get that to you sooooooon! Wellspring is good eh??

    oh... and your little actor bud Eric... seems to attract the older women (grade 6 girls!)... should I be worried? He has lost his wii priveledges because he will not eat his veggies... so dont be surprised if he calls you to come over and play video games!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come on John, that Lasagna was 35 years in the making . . . and you want another one a month later? Can't you just have some broccoli? Just Kidding. I will be delighted to bring you more.

    Very happy you are feeling so well!!! love jen (SIL)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey John, your place at Clare is for sure saved. Glad to know that your prognosisis is much more hopeful. Linda & Mike

    ReplyDelete