Monday, November 30, 2009

One week until my next treatment!

Jen & Mom & Colleen it's so nice to hear those words about Grandma Rose. Grandma Rose loved my Jennifer and it was sad that she didn't make it to see us get married. Brenda one more week of a quiet house and we'll have the 2 little busy bees buzzing around. Craig now that you've told everybody that I once break danced drunk in my santa pajamas. Seriously though that was one funny night and I think there is a video floating out there! Krystna you need to come over for a coffe or tea one night. Jewel the anwser is no you're still not aloud to shop with my wife. Erin I thought you were some fabulous cook but maybe I'm thinking of Todd? I'm well over a month now since I was diagnosed with cancer. I have to say I'm overwhelmed as cards and emails still poor in from people all over the place. Friends and family constantly call to offer there best wishes and help.

Today I went to my first peer support group for people with cancer. Since it's confidental I'm not going to say much other then it was awesome. The people were supportive and there stories were familar. I'm still on the pickle and cool whip kick. I think my mother in law sat in shock as i devoured 5 huge dill pickles and a glass of milk right in front of her eyes. I think she thought it wasn't possible that my gut could take it. Somehow I managed to not get sick through my first treatment. My white blood cell count should be on the rebound this week. These cells help fight off infections so I have to be careful I don't get sick. A fever of 38 will put me in the hospital. I'm a bit paranoid about germs so I wash my hands constantly and alway have hand sanatizer close by. I go in for blood test and to talk with Dr Chin Yee on Thursday. Not sure what he'll say to me because not much has changed since I last seen him. I hope I'm not due for a spinal tap at this next appointment Ouch! I have a few questions that you the readers passed on to me so thanks. Next Monday December 7th my second cycle of chemo will start. I've been told that just because my first cycle went well doesn't mean my second one will. But I got a feeling that it'll continue to go well. My second cycle shouldn't take the 8 hours that my first one did. I think they told me in and out in about 6 hrs this time. So I'll get my little chemo bag of goodies to help take my mind off the poison they're pumping into me... But this poison is making me better that's what I need to remember. For some reason I can't wait for golf season next year. Every year in June I go on on a golf trip. So that's my goal to be completely ready and to have my golf game in tip top shape by then. Otherwise the christmas tree went up this weekend with a big thanks to my wife. Daddy scrooge hasn't been in much of a christmas spirit this year. Jen crawled up in the attic and did most of the decorating. Watching her and the girls decorate and their excitement really picked up my spirits. So now I'm good and I'm very excited for christmas morning with my girlies. I missed my nephew Finn's baptism this weekend we chose to stay in London because we didn't know what to expect. So Finn happy baptism sorry we missed it. Sleeping hasn't been a problem since I have come off the predinsone. Energy level is down a bit but overall I'd say it is still high. Mental state is good right now and hopefully it'll continue. I forgot sign up for touch therapy or rieki or maybe evn some yoga. It's free I might as well try it!!! Some people swear by these techniques.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck with round #2!!!! I am anxious to see if they can pre-med you with a pickle infusion to keep you going while you are away from them for 6 hours or so................HAHA!!!
    Keep your chin up, you rock!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW----I so look forward to reading your Blog----John, you are an inspiration to all of us. Thank you for sharing your good times, rough times, eating habits and love of family with us. Your Mom is right, Aunt Rose has taken you under her wing.Keep that positive attitude----it certainly helps! Chico & Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John,
    I know your grandmother loved you very much, and she will be watching over you. I remember once when she was very sick. She was on the toilet and she was too weak to get up. You went in and lifter her off the toilet seat. I know she was embarassed but she laughed about it later and said she never thought she would see the day her grandson had to help her dress.
    Since next week I am going with you for your treatment should I buy 5 or 6 jars of pickles?

    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John,
    I'm sure that by June you'll be kicking those old guys butts all over the golf course (as usual I'm told).
    Have a great week.
    Linda Jones

    ReplyDelete
  5. John,
    I absolutely LOVE your blog. I am so impressed at how articulate you are :) I truly think that you are right when you say that blogging will help.
    I try to "tune in" everyday because you really do make me laugh! You are an inspiration.
    Love,
    Kim Burnard

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! Germs - are you kidding - they're running from the vinegar LOL!!! I love reading your blog. You are too funny and very imformative at the same time. Stay positive!

    Love Ya! Aunt Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. John, I too love your blog and am so glad you started it!

    For the record Todd doesn't cook either. I cook only because I have to not because I enjoy it. If Todd had his way we'd have pizza every night. Seriously, every night!!!

    Keep up the good spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey John. I have been reading your Blog with interest.I did send you a message under anonymous but some of this technical stuff is too much for me - I'll have to get Derek to help me.
    Glad to hear that everything is going good so far. Hang in there - we're all on your side.
    I justconverted my RIF from gold to PICKLES !!!!
    Uncle Jim

    ReplyDelete
  9. John, glad to hear you're finally getting some sleep and I am sure that support group goes a long way! Personally, I think some of these things like yoga and reiki just help you relax and stress is the worst thin for healthg, so that relaxation is very important! Whatever you can do to keep your spirits up is probably a good thing if you ask me (so keep eating those pickles you enjoy so much! LOL!)

    Ironically, I just started making my own half-sour pickles recently... they're super easy - just say if you want the recipe!

    50 years ago, 1 in 12 Canadians would get cancer in their lifetimes. Now it's 1 in 2. The change: small amounts of carcinogens in just about everything that adds up: toothpaste, tomatoes, apples, pesticides, detergents, etc, etc. I always say, "I didn't quit smoking to die of cancer," but it bugs me that (non-organic) fruits and vegetables often have several carcinogens in them because our government refuses to stand up to corporations (who insist that small amounts of dioxin are harmless). In the European Union, products with carcinogens must be labelled as such - hence they don't exist really anymore because the market dried up when people stopped buying products labelled as containing "known carcinogens."

    Anyway, this is all aside. A good diet is key, but also one that avoids foods likely to contain carcinogens! There is a consumer-advocacy group (based in Vancouver, I think) that puts out a CancerSmart Consumer Guide (search the web for it). It's handy!

    But keep getting better and get to that tip-top golf form first, then you can worry about future prevention!

    Your cousin,
    Derek

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey you! shopping is VERY therapeutic!!!

    going to bribe you with pizza on Tues night... wonder if they will add pickles to it????

    teehee! jewel ;)

    ReplyDelete