Thursday, December 3, 2009

More Chemo on monday!

I was thinking that a pickle infusion is a great idea. Colleen & Chico I hope you keep on enjoying the blog. I'm bringing my dad to my next chemo so he'll be incharge of finding me food. Linda Jones those guys aren't that old that I golf with although most of us are sleeping by 10 oclock at night now. Kim I'm glad you and others tune in everyday it makes me feel good that you are all so interested. Aunt Lisa thanks for the ginger root and I need to call you and find out when I'm supposed to take it. Erin pizza every night for Todd. I think Jen and Todd should have married. They could of ran a little ceasars together. Uncle Jim if you converted your RIF to pickles from gold to pickles then you'll be living the good life soon! Derek I couldn't agree more with everything you said I'm learning what fruits a veggies I have to buy organically I'll check out the Comsumer guide. Dr OZ has his website that also tells you what veggies are safe to buy and which ones you need to buy organically. Apples are one example of ones you should buy organically. I was surprised because broccoli is safe to buy naturally. Jewel you always bring food it seems to be your thing no wonder I like you so much!!!

Ok I went to the cancer clinic today and met with Dr. Howsen-Jan. it's the first time I met him. He's another oncologist on the team I was told by the time I was done I will have dealt with 4 or 5 doctors. Dr. Howsen-Jan was great very informative. He felt my armpit and told me he could feel 2 swollen lymphnodes in my armpits. He told me this is good because it was so big last time they couldn't distinguish how many lymphnodes were swollen and that they had almost fused together. I asked him why we have to wait 3 weeks between treatments. He told me that the in the old days they used to do the chemo week after week. They would kill off all the good cells but this would leave the patients vunerable to dying from catching the flu and other things. They've learned since that three weeks leaves time to kill off the cells but not as much cells. By the end of the 3 weeks your body creates more cells on its own and then back in for more chemo to kill cells again. I've had a dry cough for over a week the doctor didn't seem to be concerned as long as I have no fever. I've noticed that I have some mouth sores. I'm not sure if it is just a canker sore from all the pickles or if it is from the chemo. They really sting when I eat my pickles but the milk makes them feel better. Also tried eggnog and pickles tonight not too bad! Jeff gave me some special mouthwash for mouth sores and I'll have to try it out tonight. I gained 6 pounds over the last three weeks and that's not bad considering I ate like a pig. Anyhow at this rate if I gain 6 pounds every 3 weeks and 7 more cycles. So 7 times 6 is 42. my current weight is 242 plus 42 makes me 284. Then I can go on my wifes favorite show the biggest loser. It is very surreal being in the cancer clinic because I don't feel sick. But I am very sick! I look around and so many people look sick and most of the patients are older. When I'm in the clinic I feel like someone slaps me in the face a says hey dummy your sick. I realize the seriousness of my diease when I'm at the clinic. Well at the clinic today I met a real character today. He was sitting right across from me and I could tell as soon as I sat down that he was going to talk to me. Then off he went into a conversation about the clinic and kinda started to talk negatively about the doctors. That's where he lost me because my experience with the doctors and nurses have been amazing. So up I stood and off I went and my poor wife had to listen to him rant. This is where my life has change a bit since I've bee diagnosed with cancer. 2 months ago I would of listened to him rant but now I just get up and leave. Then I go home and carry on with life and that's all I can do and I'm good at doing that. I do occasionally say why me? But I don't feel sorry for myself for long. I feel lucky for what I have and who I have around me and all of you. Round 2 of chemo I'm bringing my dad with me and Jen. I plan on letting as many people who want to come and check it out to do that. So if anyone wants to see a chemo treatment I have 6 left after this one. So sign up! You will have to fetch me food though and that can be tiring. I haven't lost any hair yet but my wife is hoping my nose nair will fall out they tickle her when we kiss. I hope my chemo will be done before 1:30 so I can go to my cancer support group after my chemo is done. Anyhow I'm sooooooooooooooo tired everyone have a good night sleep!

6 comments:

  1. John, I'm so happy to hear that things went well at the clinic today, I pretty much couldn't stop thinking about you, so I was very happy to read your entry today.

    I applaude you for getting up and walking away from Mr. Negative, who needs that!

    Sign me up for chemo 101. I would LOVE to come to a chemo session, their is nothing I would rather do, then spend a day hunting down food for my brother! Maybe I might learn a thing or two as well.

    Hey, I was thinking about Chicago Sub today, do you remember that place? Roastbeef subs with lots of pickles, and french fries, Deelish! That was the best place ever

    Take care John, keep smiling,
    Love Jolaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning John-----I was soooo happy to see a posting this morning; going to bed last night, I was thinking that there had been no posts and maybe you were "down in the dumps"----but you are back on track. You did the best thing re "Debbie Downer"------just walk away!!! As always, the glass is half empty or the glass is half full------s glad you take the positive outlook----that is a very important part of the healing process. It is a good thing to include people who you love & who love you back in the chemo sessions. So many people don't know what it's like in the Cancer clinic so it helps them to share a small part of this disease with you.
    Have a wonderful week-end----possiibility of snow here in Windsor so I'm sure London will get it-----make sure you bundle up well if you go out---don't take any chances of catching anything.Hugs to you and all of your "care-givers".Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Johnnie...Mr. Pickles... great post... do you find the "journalling" therapeutic??? I know that it has helped me over the past few months...(wine helps too.. haha!)

    Whenever you want food... you just call!!! I will make another big batch of spaghetti before christmas!! (and then while you are eating it... Jen and I will sneak out and go shopping haha!)

    and yes...bundle up, mask up, quarantine the house if necessary... make sure that you are keeping away from germs... pretty please! STAY SAFE!!!

    one of the ladies I work with gave me some tea for you to try... and is burning a sleepy CD for you... so hopefully she can get it to me by Tues night... Pizza night!!!

    xoxoxoxoxo!

    J & E

    ReplyDelete
  4. John,
    I'd be honoured to come to a treatment with you. I will BAKE you some food to bring. And, if you go through all of that, I will fetch you as much food as you would like :)
    Just let me know!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. John,
    I don't know how you manage to make a blog about cancer so uplifting, but you really do. I loved this post, smiled all the way through it. Love the big Walk Away - haha. . . good one. We should all do that. I am so happy you are feeling so well and can't wait to cheer for you on The Biggest Loser - or breakdancing on Ellen.
    Love sisterinlawJen

    ReplyDelete
  6. one more thing John. I keep thinking about your nose hair dilemna - well yours and Jen's apparently -- and though I've never noticed it myself (strange if it is long enough to tickle Jen LOL) I must say you don't need chemo to cure that problem. Get some nostril clippers!! just joking around, love sisterinlawjen

    ReplyDelete